With average difficulty, and in a circular way, this route is designed to understand the natural and social dynamics of high pastures,this walk takes place on a universe that leaves us wellmarked the two great shaping forces of the contemporary landscape of the Serra,on the one hand, natural phenomena (glaciation, peri-glacial phenomena, and other elements as well as fauna and flora), and the no less natural human phenomenon (from pastoralism, but also the rural and industrial life of the valleys or even the modern dynamics of health, leisure and tourism in the Penhas).
Walking along the Alto da Pedrice plateau and exploring the shepherd ativity signs here,as malhadas, shelters, among others, will also know some of the most impressive geo-morphological sights of Covilhã.During the course you will find the Viriato Dam, the Ribeira da Água Fria or the Malhada do Prior as points of interest.
Responsible Trails ® ensures that an annual technical audit is carried out in which the main points of the code of ethics are evaluated. Here you find the result of the last audit.
Before starting your adventure, be sure to check the “Current Information” tab.
Responsible Trails Criteria:
(last audit realized at 22/03/2021)
Direcional signing - 5 (It’s perfectly signed and fulfilling the national requirements)
Path conditions - 4 (In a good overall status of conservation with some isolated situations)
General conservation (enviroment) - 3 (some place present some degradation but with no negative impacts on the experience)
Head boards and aditional signs - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Other information boards - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Safety structures - n.a.
Local community integration - 3 (Interaction / occasional contacts with the community)
Landscape integration - 5 (Perfectly integrated into the landscape, exploring relevant points of interest)
General Safety - 3 (Presents several low risk situations)
Remember that these are mountain routes with sections without clear trails, we recommend special caution in case of fog and strongly recommend he use of our app o aid the naviagion.
Beware of cattle and guard dogs. Remember that they are at work and will always protect your herd. In case of need, go around the herd and call the shepherd's attention.
- Take a map with route plan or GPS navigation file.
- Stay on the sign posted route.
- Respect private property.
- Leave the gates as they were found.
- If they are closed, confirm that they are well closed.
- Avoid making noises that disturb the environment.
- Do not collect or damage plants.
- Do not disturb the animals.
- Do not abandon any type of rubbish, taking it to a place where there is a collection service.
- Do not build bonfires outside permitted times.
- If it is permitted to do so, always use the equipment intended for this purpose (e.g. barbecues in picnic areas).
- Do not destroy or modify the signs.
- Do not damage existing heritage or other equipment.
- Give preference to local products, contributing to the savings of the visited places.
- If accompanying a pet make sure it does not disturb the local fauna or livestock.
- Cooperate with the maintenance of this trail, report us any anomaly detected.
- These trails are developed in the middle of the Serra da Estrela Natural Park.
- We recommend that you are accompanied by field guides, namely birds and plants, as well as by cameras and binoculars for remote observation of fauna.
Tips and hintsIn case of emergency, besides the National emergency number 112, you can reach the Mountain rescue (GNR - UEPS) +351 275 249 131 o +351 961 188 070.
- 3 Waypoints
- 3 Waypoints