Located at about 1500m of altitude, Penhas da Saúde is situated in the heart of Serra da Estrela, surrounded by a fauna and flora that hold your breath. The charm of Penhas da Saúde is not limited, however, to the white mantle that invades the horizon in the winter months. With the defrost of the snows in mid-April, new colours appear in the landscape, unique shades unmissable for those who want to feel the nature. It is here, in the tourist village of Penhas da Saúde that we find granite block trails.
Taking advantage of the geological richness of the site, this circular route of medium difficulty surprises by the shapes that surround the user while he walks along the grazing trails and explores its wide views, in particular Covão do Teixo, in the place of Curral do Vento and over the edge´s grave of Cova da Beira from Alto das Capinhas. A circular route that tells the story of these plateaus where you can contemplate the mountain through the silence that only nature allows. The Pedra do Urso ( Stone of the Bear) and the Lapa do Esgalhado ( Lapa of the String) are two of the reference elements that you can find during the journey.
Responsible Trails ® ensures that an annual technical audit is carried out in which the main points of the code of ethics are evaluated. Here you find the result of the last audit.
Before starting your adventure, be sure to check the “Current Information” tab.
Responsible Trails Criteria:
(last audit realized at 22/03/2021)
Direcional signing - 4 (It’s perfectly signed and fulfilling the national requirements)
Path conditions - 4 (In a good overall status of conservation with some isolated situations)
General conservation (enviroment) - 5 (Surrounding environment perfectly preserved)
Head boards and aditional signs - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Other information boards - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Safety structures - n.a.
Local community integration - 3 (Interaction / occasional contacts with the community)
Landscape integration - 5 (Perfectly integrated into the landscape, exploring relevant points of interest)
General Safety - 3 (Presents several low risk situations)
Remember that these are mountain routes with sections without clear trails, we recommend special caution in case of fog and strongly recommend he use of our app o aid the naviagion.
Beware of cattle and guard dogs. Remember that they are at work and will always protect your herd. In case of need, go around the herd and call the shepherd's attention.
- Take a map with route plan or GPS navigation file.
- Stay on the sign posted route.
- Respect private property.
- Leave the gates as they were found.
- If they are closed, confirm that they are well closed.
- Avoid making noises that disturb the environment.
- Do not collect or damage plants.
- Do not disturb the animals.
- Do not abandon any type of rubbish, taking it to a place where there is a collection service.
- Do not build bonfires outside permitted times.
- If it is permitted to do so, always use the equipment intended for this purpose (e.g. barbecues in picnic areas).
- Do not destroy or modify the signs.
- Do not damage existing heritage or other equipment.
- Give preference to local products, contributing to the savings of the visited places.
- If accompanying a pet make sure it does not disturb the local fauna or livestock.
- Cooperate with the maintenance of this trail, report us any anomaly detected.
- These trails are developed in the middle of the Serra da Estrela Natural Park.
- We recommend that you are accompanied by field guides, namely birds and plants, as well as by cameras and binoculars for remote observation of fauna.