This route follows the T14 Crossing of the PNSE and the Estrela Geopark long-distance trail in its entirety, connecting the main entrance to Estrela from Covilhã to the park’s central massif next to the Piornos Snow Clearing Centre. It is a naturally difficult route due to uneven terrain, connecting the main tourist services and various footpath networks, the backbone of Covilhã’s walking trails.
Walkers will come across points of interest throughout the route, including Pedra do Urso, Alto das Piçarrinhas, the Mata Nacional andthe renovated Carqueijais viewpoint.
Responsible Trails ® ensures that an annual technical audit is carried out in which the main points of the code of ethics are evaluated. Here you find the result of the last audit.
Before starting your adventure, be sure to check the “Current Information” tab.
Responsible Trails Criteria:
(last audit realized at 22/03/2021)
Direcional signing - 5 (It’s perfectly signed and fulfilling the national requirements)
Path conditions - 4 (In a good overall status of conservation with some isolated situations)
General conservation (enviroment) - 3 (some place present some degradation but with no negative impacts on the experience)
Head boards and aditional signs - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Other information boards - 5 (Very well maintained and with superior quality)
Safety structures - n.a.
Local community integration - 3 (Interaction / occasional contacts with the community)
Landscape integration - 5 (Perfectly integrated into the landscape, exploring relevant points of interest)
General Safety - 3 (Presents several low risk situations)
- Take a map with route plan or GPS navigation file.
- Stay on the sign posted route.
- Respect private property.
- Leave the gates as they were found.
- If they are closed, confirm that they are well closed.
- Avoid making noises that disturb the environment.
- Do not collect or damage plants.
- Do not disturb the animals.
- Do not abandon any type of rubbish, taking it to a place where there is a collection service.
- Do not build bonfires outside permitted times.
- If it is permitted to do so, always use the equipment intended for this purpose (e.g. barbecues in picnic areas).
- Do not destroy or modify the signs.
- Do not damage existing heritage or other equipment.
- Give preference to local products, contributing to the savings of the visited places.
- If accompanying a pet make sure it does not disturb the local fauna or livestock.
- Cooperate with the maintenance of this trail, report us any anomaly detected.
- These trails are developed in the middle of the Serra da Estrela Natural Park.
- We recommend that you are accompanied by field guides, namely birds and plants, as well as by cameras and binoculars for remote observation of fauna.