Rest StopCasa do Silvério
Classification / Navigability of the river
a) Calm waters with slight current, maximum velocity of 4 km/hour, without navigation difficulties.
b) Water currents with velocities ranging from 4 km/hour to 10 km/hour and without any obstacles.
c) When the current is more than 10 km/hour, there may be some difficulties which require the attention of canoeists.
The use of lifejackets is advised.
Some difficulties, with currents, small dams and easy rapids. The use of lifejackets and protective helmets is advised.
Difficult navigation Strong currents and fast rapids that require mastery of the vessel. The use of an appropriate vessel is advised. The use of lifejackets and protective helmets is mandatory.
Very difficult but without any danger to well-trained canoeists. The use of lifejackets and protective helmets is mandatory.
Extremely difficult and dangerous navigation. Only for fully trained and prepared canoeists. The use of lifejackets and protective helmets is mandatory.
Impassable. Impracticable. Cannot be navigated.
Tips and hints
Cabeço do Pião is marked by a mining landscape created by the Panasqueira Mines, and confers unique features to this region.
Barroca still has a rural air to it, defined by its agricultural cycles, and it is here that you'll find the Schist Villages' Network headquarters and Shop. Take the opportunity to visit the Interpretation Centre for Prehistoric Art at Poço do Caldeirão and learn all about the rock engravings etched into the rocks of Zêzere thousands of years ago.
Basic Equipment for Canoeing
- Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Durable, hard-soled footwear that allows water to pass through (preferably with neoprene uppers) Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Buoyancy aid (PFD)
- Buoyant kit bag and dry bags
- Sun hat
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Mosquito spray
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Quick-drying towel
Technical Equipment for Canoeing
- 5 fathom long rope or chain in good condition and suitable for docking
- Measuring cup or sponge with a capacity of at least 1 liter
- Portable navigation light
- Knee pads
- Yoke (with pads)
- Emergency floating throw line (with bag)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.