Almourol Castle is one of the most emblematic medieval military monuments of the Portuguese Reconquest and has a strong connection to the history of the Templars.
The occupation of this place is ancient and is thought to date back to a pre-Roman era. In 1129, the year the site was conquered by Portuguese troops, there was already a castle called Almorolan here. The castle was handed over to the Templars, was rebuilt by them and acquired the architecture that can still be seen today. Currently, it has some interpretive panels of the monument's history and can be visited regularly from both banks of the Tagus River. “TEMPLARY WARRIOR” SCULPTURE A stone sculpture, 6 meters high, by João Cutileiro, which evokes the connection of this area, and in particular the Castle of Almourol, to the history of the Templars in Portugal.